Summer months

by Sue on May 12, 2014

In the summer months when it is warm do you…

Spend less time outside with your service dog?

Spend more time outside with your service dog?

About the same amount of time outside with your service dog?

If you spend more time outside or about the same amount of time outside, how do you keep your dog cool?

1 Anonymous 05.19.14 at 6:41 am

Generally, I spend less time outside in the summer as I don’t do well in the heat/ humidity combo. Time outside is spent in short increments, or in either the morning hours or evening hours.

2 Bill Hermes 05.19.14 at 7:01 am

We spend about the same time outside with our service dog, Thortin. We are very careful about keeping his paw pads cool, and not walking him too much on black top or concrete.

3 Ms Chris 05.19.14 at 7:15 am

I spend just as much time outside with my Service Dog, but more resting in the shade and plenty of water to drink to help keep him cool when it is hot out. I also keep a wet towel on hand to either drape him with, or have him lay down on. I have a doggy pool as well for him.
He loves to play with his ball when we are enjoying my garden and watching the birds. But his safety and health always come first!

4 Ralph Drake 05.19.14 at 8:35 am

I live in the desert I try not to be outside in the heat. I have a cool scarf that cools the blood to the brain, I wear one also. I try to go from the AC house to the AC car. I shop at night. or early in Am.

5 Patch Guglielmino 05.19.14 at 9:37 am

The law has to change. I work in a hospital and people are coming in with dogs trying to pass them off as service dogs. Why do people continue to do this. It makes it very difficult for people who need REAL service dogs. Don’t you think it should be allowed to ask for their paperwork?

6 Karen Berry 05.19.14 at 11:11 am

We spend as much if not more time out in the summertime. Because I sell Avon I’m either at a booth in the shade or in an air conditioned vehicle out hotel room when I travel.

7 Harriet Saunders 05.19.14 at 11:30 am

I have a REAL service dog with no certification because I trained her myself. My disability doesn’t show and I don’t appreciate having to “prove” myself to anybody. Also, the thought of having to get some sort of certification makes me pretty unhappy–I don’t want to deal with either the expense or the hassle. How do you know these dogs aren’t REAL? The clue to a well trained service dog is their behavior and you can ask any owner to leave if his dog is misbehaving, service dog or not, so I don’t see what the problem is.
Rose and I don’t spend as much time outside in the summer. Neither of us like the heat. We do a lot of training and game playing inside and try to get our exercise in the early morning or evening when things are cooler. The cooling scarves sound like an idea worth trying.

8 Randi H 05.19.14 at 11:31 pm

I spend very little time outside with my small (7-pound) service dog, because the older I get the less I can tolerate the heat. I have the cooling scarf for my service dog (and one for me as well). In fact, last week, we attended an indoor event in San Francisco (of all places) where it was the hottest day of the year. I had to leave the theatre about the middle of the evening and spend the rest of the evening in the lobby, because I couldn’t tolerate the heat – but my husband REALLY wanted to see the event, so it was OK. I do want to comment on impostors who try to pretend their pets are service dogs. I have (not that it’s anyone’s business) serious panic attacks, and my previous service dog (who, unfortunately, has passed away), gave me my life back. My current service dog, who has been equally well-trained, wouldn’t consider barking, trying to beg for food, or otherwise behaving inappropriately. I do allow others to pet her, with permission, because she can still be “working” and be friendly to strangers. It is ridiculous for anyone to assume that a small dog can’t be a service dog – but the real test is whether the dog behaves the way they should. I have been hassled by civilians, but as soon as I show my small dog’s vest, ID card and (if really necessary), the letter from my doctor, they back off. (With one exception, and I have reported them to ADA and the local authorities.)

9 Suzy 05.20.14 at 8:49 am

I spend more time outside as long as the weather is nice. If it is humid or above 85 degrees we stay on doors. I don’t do well with the heat although my dog loves to bake in the sin. That is what you get when you live in PA and your dog came from Florida. To keep him cool, I give cold water, ice cubes and this year plan to buy a cooling scarf- one made for dogs and one for humans.

10 Linda 05.20.14 at 5:30 pm

I too self trained and often am told my dog is the best behaved SD they have ever met. I am now training a puppy to take over, she is good (not perfect), but nothing anyone could complain about.
No, I don’t think you can or should be able to ask for paperwork or proof. Patch, how do you know they are not REAL service dogs? My disability is not able to be seen (unless I don’t have the dog and end up falling to the floor, then you can see it).
If I am asked to show ID, proof or other illegal requirements I will be getting names, dates, times for the lawsuit. While I do carry ID, it will only be provided with the knowledge that I have told them they are breaking the law, and then I will get my documentation. Then I will show it and follow up with a letter of complaint to location and if that does not do it then a Department of Justice complaint will follow.

I have only had to do it one time, most people when told they are breaking federal law back down. However, I have a very nice letter of apology from a city attorney, a promise of better training of staff and some free tickets to the same location for another event. All I wanted was the training to take place.

My dog is mid-size, wears a harness or vest with SERVICE DOG on it. Nothing more should be needed.

11 Linda 05.20.14 at 5:32 pm

Oh, and to the actual question. We spend about the same amount of time outside (which is not a huge amount). I try to watch for hot pavement and make sure there is a lot of water available.