10 Things You Probably Don’t Know About Service Dogs

by Spot on March 6, 2014

service dog infographic

Share this Image On Your Site

1 Patch Guglielmino 03.10.14 at 9:08 am

I need to leave another comment. I have a working service dog and without her it would be a nightmare. However, in my travels I see so many fake service dogs. It is heartbreaking and makes it difficult for people who really need our dogs. I think the law should be changed and that business should be able to ask for the dog’s papers. It would put a stop to the phony people.

2 J. Wetzbarger 03.10.14 at 1:08 pm

Patch, what makes you think the other people don’t need a service dog? Is it because they aren’t blind? There are lots of reasons people need service dogs. Many of which aren’t obvious to you or me. I have one for panic disorder with PTSD but I appear “normal.” Perhaps you should not judge a book by it’s cover.

3 Sara Crusade 03.10.14 at 5:19 pm

Patch – I too have a SD and have seen “fake” SDs. I do not think changing the laws to allow businesses to gain access to personal information is appropriate. What would be appropriate is if certifying agencies were members of ADI; which would allow US service dogs to be accepted over seas as well. The only down side to that suggestion is that ADI is very expensive. UGD, the agency that trained and certified my SD video taped our tests by ADI standards and the public access test was strict, to ADI standards. Unfortunately UGD does not have the funding to join ADI at this time.

4 Diana Waldo 03.13.14 at 6:39 pm

I have a Seizure Alert dog and I have trained my dog to be as friendly as possible….because if I am having a seizure I don’t want him to get shot by someone who percieves my dog as aggressive only because he is a large dog…too many cops get trigger happy these days and would likely just shoot my dog and say they had to do so to get to me to help me.

I live in Polk County Fla and the local Sheriff Dept came to my house one and upon seeing my dog (in his Service dog vest) said “oh I dont do dogs” and pulled her gun, her partner said yeah I would hate to shoot your service dog” and also pulled his gun…….I just told them to leave that whatever problems I had they could not help, as they werent trained to work with the general public.

Service Dogs are part of the general public these days but both of those cops were prepared to shoot my SD who was calmly standing at my side, wearing a bright orange SD vest, and a head harness…..my dog is an older dog, and he never growled at all …he wagged his tail.

Its true that some people dont know how to handle a seizure, I have even had people come up and pet my dog and try to distract him from doing his job while I was having a siezure, (in Walmart!!) but its still best if your dog is friendly….a dog that guards you is a dog that will get shot….

5 Raven 03.14.14 at 5:33 am

It comes down to this – since the public has no choice but to allow service dogs in public with them and around their children, they have the absolute right to feel safe around them. Therefore service dogs cannot be aggressive.

As for fake service dogs and the law, I don’t agree that ADI should be in control of everything to do with service dogs or what all service dogs should be certified or registered through them. The United States government made the law the way they did to make getting and having a service dog the least restrictive on disabled people who really don’t need added stress to their life. Having to show an ID every single time you enter a business is kind of defeating the purpose of allowing disable people to live their lives as normal as possible. Yes there are fakers, but there are federal (federal fraud) and some state laws to prevent this but they’re not enforced. I think if they were enforced, and businesses knew their rights and how to spot fake service dogs – and that they can ask them to leave it there being disruptive to pooping on the floor, I think that would make things much better. Yes we’d still have some people slipping through the cracks but if fake service dog handlers are taken to court and they try to fight it saying that dog is a real one, (usually because they have one of those stupid fake online registrations), and they lose, the dogs should be taken away from their owners PERMANENTLY because they’re a tool for committing the crime – just like a burglars lock pick set. They wouldn’t return that to a thief, neither should a fake service dog to the owner. The threat of losing their “babies” alone would stop a lot of fake SD owners from carting around their beloved pooches. Again there are laws in place to stop those with fake service dogs. Businesses need to be educated on than and they just need to be enforced.

As for the registration and certifications of ADI for going overseas, I go to Europe all the time with my service I and I have never had a problem. I’ve certainly never been asked for any certification or registration for her from ADI or any other place.

6 M.Rogers 03.21.14 at 11:26 am

I have an E.S.A dog that goes every where I go. Just because she is not an SD dog, doesn’t mean she cant do the job I need her to do. People that have never experienced horrible panic attacks would never understand the usefulness of my ESA dog. She knows when a panic attack is brewing and reminds me to take my meds. There are other ways that she helps me though my life as well. It is a proven fact that dogs reduce stress and anxiety. My ESA dog is extremely well behaved and friendly. She has improved the quality of my life tremendously. I don’t know what I would do without her.

7 Sussie Due 03.28.14 at 11:43 am

I am a bit confused about why you are limiting your access by having the dog as an ESA when she is clearly a service dog.

8 Alyssa Magnuson 05.06.14 at 8:54 pm

I have PTSD and I find it very frustrating when people automatically assume my service dog is fake just because my disability is invisible. She is extremely well behaved and a very hard worker. I don’t know what I would do without her. I just wish people would stop being so inconsiderate and stop trying to pass their pet dogs off as service dogs.

9 William Hines 06.02.14 at 7:19 pm

I also have PTSD I also have very bad I have anxiety that really make it uncomfortable for me to be in public. With out my SD I would never get out of the house and have a somewhat normal life. I am just tired of people just a summing he is a pet just because I don’t have a vest on. I also believe that the government should recognize spastic training facilities. This way there is no confusion what is and what isn’t a serve dog.

10 Pami 06.09.14 at 11:27 am

If you have a service dog for PTSD, AUTISM, EPILEPSY, go online to this website Pup’parel.com to get your service dog patches. Lisa has so many different styles to pick from.
Also she sells service dog vests as well, and if you have a Emotional Support Dog she sells patches as well. Ask her to make the Round orange patch that she use for Autism Service Dog and Put Emotional Support Dog on it in neon green print or neon pink.
This will get the point out to people buy two patches for each side of the vest. and for the top of the vest a tab patch DO NOT PET!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT HAVE A SERVICE DOG. LET ME KNOW HOW THESE PATCHES WORK FOR YOU.

11 Sam 06.09.14 at 11:38 am

We need stronger laws for service dog were they would have to carry the (ADA) card with them at all times if they have their service dog with them.
otherwise the service dog could not be out in public.
This would help handlers out when the store and resturant owner comes and want to kick your service dog out of a public place.
And these law cards are not very big to carry. Please help out by emailing and writing your State Governer.

12 Molly 06.26.14 at 11:20 am

Federal lawsuit filed after Illinois public school denied access to a 2nd grader and her service dog