What type of products would you like to see…

by Sue on May 10, 2012

…for Service Dogs?

Is there something that you would like to see made for service dogs? Something that is very difficult to get but would relaly be of help for you and/or your dog?

Please let me know. I’m making up a list.

Sussie, Gunny, Rainy and Lucy

1 karen Gilmore 05.14.12 at 6:20 am

I purchased a black printed service dog collar which was great, except after 1 months use the white lettering rubbed off. I would like to heve one that has the words servi,e dog sewn into the collar in big white letter embroidered on. My mobility dog is a great dane and her chain collar used for guidance destroyed the lettering. Very frustrating and a financial investment I can’t afford to just throwb out.

2 PD Williams 05.14.12 at 6:22 am

devises to carry oxigen tanks, a devise to carry feeding tube equitment, inslated pouches for inslen & other diabetic supplys, patches or more clear idification for Autisim dogs.

3 Ursula Kirkpatrick 05.14.12 at 6:25 am

I have a Golden Service Dog, SPecial Needs, Mobility. Toby helps me
keep my balance when I walk and I have not fallen since I got him.
I do need an Official Certificate to carry with me that he is a Certified
Service Dog, which I never received from anyone. If I want to fly with
hm in the cabin I would need this.
Do you have any idea if such a thing is available and from whom.

4 Patricia 05.14.12 at 6:50 am

In regards to Official Service dog: I was under the impression that if you had service dog identification on you dog such as vest or tags and a letter of medical needs from your doctor that that was sufficient.

5 Eden Cross 05.14.12 at 7:44 am

Now a days, having small service animals and mine is a long haired fellow, I’m looking for a harness/vest that is *tiny* sized and that works for his coat as well. @ Patricia, it’s true that your dog doesn’t have to wear a vest…for me at least, there are times in particular places where I find it more helpful to have him wear one – because it gives people in the *outside* world who don’t yet understand about Service Animals, the ability to recognize a *working dog* from a *pet*, and because nobody educates the entire general public about what a service animal is and does and that it is not only for those who have *publicly visible* needs for assistance… I personally find it helpful.
ANyway, I have had to have several vests altered because they are still too large for a 7 Lb. dog…and am getting to the point where I will have to design and have one made custom, if I cannot locate one that is a comfortable fit for a small dog.

6 Joan Dale 05.14.12 at 8:18 am

I show the service dog tag that Are always attached to Beauty’s harness, most people give a cursory glance after seeing her rabies cert etc and off we go. If I encounter ignorant people I take time to show them info about service dogs along with legislation from Canada and the US about service dogs. Most of the time it is a lack of knowledge so go out and educate. Schools are great starters, health fairs are another, service clubs like to have speakers too. Go and volunteer to take your service dog for an hour.

7 sussie 05.14.12 at 8:48 am

The Raspberry Fields is a vest company that we highly commend. They are reasonable, their products are outstanding and they make vests for ALL sizes of dogs.

8 sussie 05.14.12 at 8:49 am

I cannot recommend anything like that because it is not required by law for a service dog to be certified. There are many websites out there that claim they will but they are only out for your money.

9 sussie 05.14.12 at 8:52 am

10 Sussie Due 05.14.12 at 8:55 am

The Raspberry Fields can make items for that.

11 Kathy Bright 05.14.12 at 11:42 am

I would love to be able to find a Service dog vest/pack for L or XL dogs, that have the ability for numerous D-rings to hook grocery bags to help carry in groceries. Where its light enough but strong enough to handle books or water bottles, etc. I would like it to have a pocket for documentation for the SD. And a team ID area to show the SD belongs to you. Also with a mobility handle to make it easy to handle the dog and walk and keep your balance. And also if you would be at a restaurant, the handle can be broken down or removed to give the dog easy accessibility under table or booth.

12 Jon Corey 05.14.12 at 12:23 pm

Per your comments to Sussie I just noted above, I would greatly appreciate the emroidered style SERVICE DOG collar replacement offer. My prior records will verify I earlier ordered (among several other items) SERVICE DOG collars that were printed (but not embroidered) and my two German Shepherds had them non-readable after about three weeks. As there was no obvious link to contact you on this site for replacements, I am using this forum.

Thank you.

JON COREY
Anthem-Phoenix
jon.corey@cox.net

YOUR NOTE TO SUSSIE: Please contact us to replace that collar or issue you a refund. This was an issue with the manufacturer that we purchased the collars from. We have since replaced them with one where the lettering is embroidered and are no longer using that manufacturer.

13 Clarissa Hosino 05.14.12 at 1:25 pm

I wouls appreciate a letter saying it is not by law that your service animals need to wear a vest…as long as your Paper work and tags say they are qualified…We need to make aware of bussiness and people of these issues when they decide your service animal is not welcome because they are not wearing a vest…don’t they understand it’s the service of the pet that helps you not the vest they wear..

14 annie 05.14.12 at 1:25 pm

I ordered a glow in the dark collar (battery powered) and it didn’t work for very long. I had to purchase several reflective materials from amazon before I found something that I could sew unto his collar and leash. Unfortunately, I can’t really sew them unto his backpack. I’ve been having problems getting booties that don’t fall off.

15 Aangelina 05.14.12 at 3:32 pm

I’ve been trying to find a double handled lease with an extra sturdy clip. The ones that have a little knob, you push down, sometimes get tangled in my dogs harness/collar and unclip. I’d like one that you push in not down. My service dog is large, a Siberian husky. I’d feel better knowing the clip won’t release at the checkout counter like it has before.

16 rick snyder 05.14.12 at 5:03 pm

i been looking for a service animal or dog vest but cant find one ppl tpold me to look online and i have and they are expensive and i havent got the money to get one i have a lab/shep mix 50 lbs i would appreciate the help plz let me know via email

17 Terri D 05.14.12 at 11:03 pm

Here are some websites for equipment that I have found to be awesome and professional. One, of course, is our favorite! :D

Harnesses:

Vests and patches:

Service Dog ID Tags:

One thing I have not been able to find is a “saddlebag” – something that will fit over my harness handle. I have saddlebags that go with a vest, but no way to use my handle harness with them – and I need that handle, as my dog is a mobility dog! If you want of picture of what I have in mind, let me know and I’ll get you one.

18 Rachelle 05.21.12 at 8:44 pm

A friend pointed a really good idea. There are vendors who sell pin-on or stick-on flashing disks with whatever logo (for instance sports teams) on it. I think it would be great to have one that flashes for service dog, ask to pet or do not pet/distract. Despite having two big patches on my big SD’s backpack, people still don’t “see” them. If there was this flashy-thingy on there that said Ask To Pet I wouldn’t have near as many issues with this. You would only have to click it on when you’re in public, and i think they run off the small round watch-type batteries.

19 Linda 05.21.12 at 11:37 pm

Clarissa, go on the web and get a copy of the law, print it and carry it. I have a card with it on the back that I can use.

You don’t even have to have ID for your dog. There are three questions they can ask: Are you disabled? Is that a service dog? What does the dog do?

However, it is more reasonable to have your dog marked, why stir up trouble and conflict. Mine has a harness that I use for support and it has a service dog patch on it. I have choosen to buy ID cards. They are not “legal” proof, but can help if someone “insists” on more.

I have not tried to fly, but can’t image that an airline is allowed to ask for more than any place else. I don’t see anywhere in the law that they have a higher level of proof allowed.

The best help is to spend time and really educate yourself on the law, what is needed, what can be asked for, and what your options are if there is a problem.

20 Sussie Due 05.24.12 at 12:25 pm

We are aware of the collar issue and offer a full refund of a replacement collar to those who’s collar lettering rubbed off. We are no longer carrying that manufacturer’s collars and have gone with a company that embroiders the lettering on to the collar.

21 Sussie Due 06.21.12 at 1:09 pm

You can purchase jackets at http://www.servicedogjackets.com

22 Sussie Due 06.21.12 at 1:11 pm

And you are absolutely correct on that.