A nice short documentary about mobility dogs.

by Sue on February 1, 2012

1 Marguerite & Jello Maddox 02.06.12 at 9:50 am

WELL DONE VIDEO; NEED TO DO MORE ON PUBLIC ACCESS & WHAT TO DO WHEN DENIED ACCESS TO PUBLIC BUSINESSES SUCH AS MAKING A POLICE REPORT.

2 Carol Sipos 02.06.12 at 10:18 am

Confined to wheelchair for last seven years Husband trained Golden, Cooley, to sense when I am in distress and to summons him, plus other incidental tasks. Really enjoyed this video.

3 Dave and Gracie 02.06.12 at 11:30 pm

Nice doc. on service dogs helping people with disabilities. If you’ve shared your life with a dog you know the bond is very real. I’ve had multiple sclerosis for 28 years. I’ve had Gracie, a poodle-cockerspaniel mix for nearly 4 and she’s been my service dog for 3 years. I’ve done the bulk of her training with some research and consultation with some dog trainers. I am a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor with knowledge of medical aspects of several disabilities. The training academy for assistance dogs in this documentory is fantastic.

As usual though, even though the dogs are beautiful and well trained, there are some deceptive features about reports like this one that reinforces some miscoceptions in the general public. 1. Although “Goldens” are most recognized and utilized as “service dogs”, several breeds are excellent as helpers for people with disabilities…a wide range of physical, psychiatric or emotional dbls. The nature of the individuals functional limitations would, by definition, be the question a potential service dog trainer should ask. That’s why I always say…the focus should be directed to the person with the disability. NOT the dog and NOT the trainer. 2. When so many documentories focus on the “High End” and sometimes very expensive in dollars and specialized traning some people with limited resources may be dissuaded from looking at the option of using a “service dog”. That, would be a shame. These dogs help us in so many ways that make the day to day frustrations of living with a disability so much better, rewarding and tolerable.

Gracie’s over there, crashed-out on the bed. It was a long day downtown at the hospital. She was there with me every minute…bloodwork, blood pressure cuff, infusion and clinical. I haven’t taken her in the MRI with me…I’m afraid they’ll find out that her brain is bigger than mine, at least more functional; DON’T YA LUV’UM!

4 Deborah 02.08.12 at 7:56 am

Having recently been challenged for having my Hearing Dog (Sookie) at work, I can relate to a lot of what is being said.

I have no problem with them limiting species, as these people can always get a dog and train it themselves. They don’t HAVE or NEED to have a monkey, horse or any species of animal that would cause more concern over the abuse of the ADA laws. The abuse of this law is the reason WHY they are attempting to redefine and limit species of animals.

For the Blind and Deaf, these animals are in effect EXTENSIONS of ourselves. We can’t leave our ears, or eyes behind. I’ve read a lot of stuff up here that shows me that some of us really aren’t knowledgeable about the very laws that they are griping about.

Someone said that the Airport does have the right to ask you to prove that the animal is a service dog (wrong) or point me to the wording. Sites like this that put up words like “certification,” only feed the misunderstandings out there.

Service dogs do not have to be certified, that is a political attempt to create a entrepreneur niche for someone else to get rich off our disabilities.

The sad reality is…feeding the misunderstandings and trying to get rich off a largely unregulated business possibility is part of the issue.

5 Deborah 02.08.12 at 3:19 pm

I apologize, this above post was meant to be here: http://www.servicedogblog.com/category/service-dog-laws/ I don’t see a way to delete the post.

6 Rachelle 02.27.12 at 11:15 pm

I have a 9 1/2 mos old AKC Rottweiler that I am going through training with to be a mobility assistance dog. He is behind the typical learning curve because I didn’t get him until he was 6 mos. old and we had so much basic work to get through. But he is doing well, and when I take him in public, people always want to pet him and say that he is very handsome (of course, I don’t allow petting in restaurants or grocery stores, but I encourage petting as part of his socialization in any other environment). He has become a diplomat for his breed. He’s smart, incredibly strong and is very calm. We have another year of training to go but I’m sure he will succeed.

7 Sonvy Waidler 01.07.14 at 1:32 pm

I would like to purchase a download of this documentary: “Service Dogs for People with Limited Mobility.” If anyone can direct me to the filmmaker/owner, I’d be grateful.

Sonvy