Adopt a service dog – the absolute best adult dog you could ever find

by Spot on September 17, 2010

adopt a service dog – the absolute best adult dog when he could search

decision to add a new adult dog family, have you considered adopting one that is actually retired? What is a “retired” dog in the first place? In short, most people never consider finding a partner who is used to serve others as a guide dog. Any dog that has been formed to or actually a “race” leading the blind, or helping other people with disabilities is a typical example of a working dog.

If you are lucky enough to adopt a dog that has been formed to provide a service to people, or at least adopt a dog that has been accepted for this training, but not for any reason, you are in for a special treatment. Most people do not even know that there are dogs.

However, all dogs are bred and raised in order to provide a kind of service is actually working there. And other dogs have in fact been used for people in their lives, but obviously can not continue to work forever. To help these animals find new permanent housing, there are organizations that provide guide dogs for adoption programs as part of their services.

If you look at the reports submitted by the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners, you will find that there are approximately 8000-9000 dogs in the United States alone currently “employed”. These dogs are out there that provide services for the deaf, the blind leading the people and the assistance given to other men and women with disabilities.

Consider this, you need a very special dog and smart just to get in any program unless they are trained for a career as a service dog. They should be well adjusted and well socialized, healthy, and show all the signs needed to be good students of a particular work of instructors are prepared.

Only these attributes alone, before being trained to work, would be a pet really incredible. Now, imagine six months to two years of obedience training additional high power and career programs protocol. The result is a dog that would be extremely grateful to have as a pet.

So before deciding to go to a shelter or the usual place to buy or adopt a dog, please check local services that specialize in providing dogs that are ex-service oriented, or a dog because or another not quite do the training. Anyway, you’re sure to enjoy an upscale, quality pet sheets.

Consider this, you can choose between three types of assistance dogs to choose from: the dogs are taken to be guides, career change “dogs and, finally, they are the dogs under the program training for any reason, or short – lackey.

1) Guide Dogs No More: Service dogs can not work their jobs forever. As we age, the dogs, they become slower and are more effective in helping their owners. On average, a service dog can run about eight years. At that time, they become prime candidates for adoption by people like you and me.

2) dogs that have multiple careers: Many dogs can be taken directly from a service, then formed another. The reasons for this may vary. Maybe because of problems of temperament, medical problems, or perhaps a dog was just a game is not for the owner. For example, a dog may be withdrawn from service as a guide, then prepared and transferred to work in a hospital or rehabilitation of nursery care. Sometimes these animals are still assigned to the centers of homeless children to play with the children.

3) But he made the cut: Finally, we have our lackeys. Now, before considering a lackey to be a bad thing, come back to this idea, because the opposite is true. Thousands of dogs are trained each year by organizations that are service jobs. All these dogs in the final cut for whatever reason, whether temperament problems, health problems, or perhaps a little too nervous to perform maintenance. However, the important thing to remember here is that these dogs are always a notch above any other dog can find elsewhere.

Without doubt, these dogs are really in demand. Most of them are fully trained and provide stable society since the day he took home. The reason is that most of these types of working dogs for months or years and participated in class-compliant protocols of intensive training and learning. This type of training is so extensive that most ordinary people could not afford to have their pets take the training of professionals.

For the dog must be accepted in this type of training programs for the preparation of the media have already premium natural qualities and characteristics that made them ideal candidates in the first place. Generally, these dogs are between one and two years. Most are very gentle and affectionate and have received extensive training in obedience program launch. All pets would be wonderful companion for the whole family.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Tweets that mention Adopt a service dog – the absolute best adult dog you could ever find | Service Dog Blog -- Topsy.com
09.17.10 at 3:01 pm
What do Assistance Dogs Mean for Families, Individuals, and the Community? « Assistance Dogs for Developmental Disability Research
11.10.10 at 7:43 am

1 fdjjvhjg 09.17.10 at 10:40 am

Free wordpress themes for your blog owlrswsx

2 Moshe Bahiri 09.20.10 at 6:18 am

Hi

I would like to adapt a service dog, where can I see them? I live in NY area.

Thanks
Moshe Bahiri

3 jean biller 11.14.10 at 7:43 pm

I have Pul Fib and am starting to have some troble with my walking would llike to check into a service dog .what do i need to do first off i am on diabibly so i have to watch my spending , but can you put me in touch woth someone close to area. Shen. count y toms brook va 22660

4 BILLY LOWERY 05.01.11 at 10:28 pm

HI IAM HANDICAP I LOST MY LEGS AND I HAVE HEART TRUBLE AND HAVE BAD HANDSI NEED ONE BADDLY I SOME TIME FALL OUT OF MY CHAIR I HAVE SUGER I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME IF YOU WOUKD TO CALL MY IS PHONE [601=660=0524]

5 christine ritchie 05.06.11 at 8:49 am

Hi, I am the caregiver to my wonderful husband Joe. He has a brain injury and our dog Bailey passed away in January. Bailey was 14 1/2 and was Joes best friend. I am looking to adopt a service dog…possibley a retired one. I live in Massachusetts.

Thank you.

6 Ann Starr 08.28.11 at 11:45 am

Do you know of a location in Placer County in California that I could adopt a service dog?

7 andrea cook 12.06.11 at 9:23 pm

Hi,

I would very much like to adopt a service dog. It would have to be a dog suitable for going to the office with me and being a full time companion to someone with a busy schedule.

I volunteer as an advocate for children who are the victims of sexual abuse (infants to age 14). I would love to have a dog that could spend time with the children when it was appropriate. I can give a dog a loving home that honors their service and contribution and provides an opportunity for more but less strenuous work.

I live at the beach and can walk and run a dog on the beach but would love to have a dog that wanted to swim with me (a sort of long time fantasy). Anyway, I live in Long Beach, California which is in Los Angeles County. I will travel to meet the right dog.

8 Cooke Osborn 03.22.12 at 7:24 pm

Great Article, I’m not sure people understood quite what it was meaning to say with the comments I am reading. Adopting a service dog after its retired isn’t the same as getting a service dog to help you with a disability. These dogs are no different then people, and can not work their entire lives. I think people are usually hesitant to adopt as older dog, but if you have the heart…how can you leave an animal that has spent its whole life serving people with disabilities, to live their last phase of life alone. It’s very sad. I hope all animals find great homes, but especially these giving animals.

9 janet 05.04.12 at 5:12 pm

i am need a service case i get made some times and loney and a service wooed hellp me becuse i wooed not be mad or loney and they wooed hellp not be mean 2 my mom and i wooed not be loney maed or mean

10 janet 05.04.12 at 5:13 pm

and i wooed love one becuse i wooed not be loney i am wase loney

11 janet 05.04.12 at 5:13 pm

and what kined hve service dogs do u guys have

12 shelly 12.11.12 at 6:29 pm

Nice piece, however i t would have been helpful to have a few links for adopting a service dog. I am having a hard time finding them in V a.

13 M.Jean Gavin 12.19.12 at 9:36 pm

I’m retired and am looking for a retired service animal with which to share my retirement.

14 Laney 01.07.13 at 9:23 am

I just lost a small poodle I have one left but he is lost. I never realized how much he depended on the other dog The one living Is mostly blind hard of hearing n dislikes most other dogs. I am thinking about adopting a retired service dog for him because they r so mild mannered. Is that a good idea or not and is there such a dog in the small range.

15 kayla cathey 01.10.13 at 12:30 pm

How do I find out about adopting a dog for someone who has seizures ?

16 kayla cathey 01.10.13 at 12:30 pm

How do I find out how to adopt a service dog ?

17 Debora Suttles 01.14.13 at 11:25 pm

I have been wanting a dog to love. One that would be happy just being petted, hugged & be on the sofa with me.
I live in apt bldg with all disabled or over 60 people.
Some have pets & when we see them, hug & pet them.
Some times grandkids visit for the day, but they leave. I get lonely & have so much love to give to another. A puppy needs kids to run & play. A retired dog could have an apt with disabled/lonely ole gal that doesn’t expect anything in return.

18 ronald shaw 03.05.13 at 11:08 pm

hey i would like to adopt a service dog

19 Nora Ryan 03.07.13 at 8:36 pm

I would love to adopt a service dog. Would it be possible to provide me with more information about the adoption procedure for a service dog.

Nora

20 dance club marketing 03.10.13 at 9:34 pm

Truly impressed with your manner of composing in actual fact, something tells me you may very well be a master: )

21 catherine adkinson 05.24.13 at 10:02 pm

Am interested in adopting a retired service dog. My golden passed away 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had Maggie for 13 1/2 yrs. Its time for another dog. Thanks!

22 John 06.01.13 at 2:47 pm

My golden passed away one year ago. I had him for 13 years. I definitely would like to adopt a retired service dog. I myself am a quadriplegic. I live in central New York state. Please contact me. Thank you.

John

23 Sylvia Mabee 11.21.13 at 7:01 am

Hi…..our Golden; Jesse passed away recently ….he was a wonderful companion for my dear husband Dan who has later stages of Parkinsons and uses a walker…a retired service dog would be a wonderful companion for him…he is very lonely without his dog…I am healthy and can excercise the dog….we live in Santa Barbara CA
Please let me know if this is a possibility or if you are only on the east coast

24 laurie b. 01.26.14 at 10:32 pm

Would like to adopt a therapy dog for helping with post traumatic stress disorder. ..would need to be a very small dog that can travel well…can you direct me on where to find…prefer a female dog…thank you…